If you think only middle-class America uses coupons, you couldn’t be further from the truth. In fact, it may surprise you to hear who else uses coupons: celebrities! That’s right, some of your favorite Hollywood stars clip coupons just like you do to save money at the grocery store.
Over the last several years, a popular trend on television has been the use of coupons. And not just the occasional one or two coupons per visit to the grocery store, but what is now called “extreme couponing.” Celebrities took this popularity and ran with it.
So, who uses coupons on a regular basis to do their grocery shopping, and who has gone gaga over couponing?
Celebrities Who Use Coupons
If you’re the type to look through the coupon section of your Sunday paper, clip the ones you know you’ll use, and bring them to the grocery store along with your shopping list, you’re not alone. Many celebrities have begun using coupons on a regular basis to save on groceries and other items.
- Sarah Michelle Geller, known for her title role on “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and the CWs new drama “Ringer,” uses coupons for grocery shopping and the dry cleaners.
- Halle Berry has been quoted as saying she’s “pretty frugal,” and also uses coupons to save for a rainy day.
- Hilary Swank says she looks at coupons as having an extra dollar in her pocket.
- The View’s Elizabeth Hasselbeck proudly calls her husband, NFL quarterback Tim Hasselback, a “coupon guy.”
- Jaclyn Smith once commented that “coupons are like pennies from Heaven.” This former Angel doesn’t have a particular system she uses, but anything she and her family can do to save money and energy is important to her.
These celebrities know their way around the coupon section of their newspaper and online coupon sites. You too can become a coupon user on a regular basis and save a lot of money on your weekly grocery bill just like these celebrities. When it comes to saving money in this economy, no one is above using different means to pinch pennies. And couponing is one of the quickest and easiest ways to do just that.
Celebrities Who Love Extreme Couponing
Of course, there are those that appear as though they went a little overboard and almost became obsessed with using coupons. This group of people is known as extreme couponers, and they don’t only include desperate housewives. Some of today’s most famous stars have taken couponing to a whole new level and have joined this group of extremists.
- Kate Gosselin says she started using coupons before she became a celebrity, but continued to use them even after her show became a hit. With eight kids to feed, Kate had a big need to hunt for coupons, so it’s no surprise that she turned it into a hobby. She now gives advice on using coupons for several different services, including groceries and travel, on the website CouponCabin.com.
- Kourtney Kardashian has been seen clipping coupons on her reality show Kourtney & Kim Take New York. She apparently became addicted to this new hobby while watching Extreme Couponing on TLC.
- The host of Extreme Couponing, Tiffany Ivanovsky, has herself talked about the difference between hoarding and extreme couponing. She says that everything she buys with her coupons is stored away neatly.
While extreme couponing may sound a little overboard, it doesn’t have to be. Ivanovsky says couponing is a hobby to her. She mentions that it’s something housewives can easily get into during the day while the kids are at school.
How Extreme Should You Be?
Now that you know that even the rich and famous clip coupons on a regular basis, some even to the point that may appear to be obsessive to others, will you become a couponer? If so, the choice is yours:
- Become an occasional couponer who checks the Sunday paper for a few coupons to clip and take to the grocery store.
- Be an extreme couponer who is always looking for more coupons and the best bargains in the papers, flyers, and online.
Which one will you be? Only you can determine which choice is best for you.